Responsible to: Assistant Director/Community Life Leader
Job Summary: Guided by the Mission and Charter of L’Arche, the House Leader is responsible for overseeing the home and nurturing the growth and direction of its members. While fostering an attitude of shared leadership, the House Leader develops and implements core member programs in accordance with Licensure, Supported Living (S/L) and Individual Option (IO) Waiver regulations and Cuyahoga County Board of Developmental Disability (CCBDD) policies and procedures.
The House Leader acts as the primary reference person within the home. He/she directs or manages projects as assigned by the Assistant Director/Community Life Leader and the Executive Director/Community Leader. As a member of the Leadership Team, may be assigned authority in the absence of the Executive Director/Community Leader. This role is designed to be 75% administrative and 25% direct care of core members.
Quality of Life for Core Members
1) Maintains a deep sense of responsibility and accountability towards the needs of the core members.
a) Ensures that each core member has a voice in decision making and the planning of their own lives and in the life of the community.
b) Supports core members’ activities in the home and community.
c) Supports core members’ choices of spiritual development and church attendance.
d) Supports core members’ in developing and maintaining relationships both inside and outside of the L’Arche community.
e) Supports relationships with parents, guardians, and friends.
f) Collaborates with health care providers, the community nurse, and the Program Specialist/Community Life Leader to assure that the overall health and safety needs of the core members are met.
g) Advocates for the core members.
h) Fosters an attitude of respect for the history and practices of the core members.
i) Performs responsibilities/duties related to direct care.
Quality of Life for Assistants
1) Ensures the welcoming, orientation, and formation of new assistants to the home.
2) Fosters the personal, spiritual, and professional growth of the assistants through regularly scheduled functional accompaniment, supervision and evaluation.
3) Facilitates and promotes team building with assistants through regularly scheduled team meetings, Assistant Sharing meetings, and formations.
1) Fosters a welcoming presence in the home and community.
2) Supports a spirit that “creates a home” for each person living there by fostering good communication and cooperative living.
3) Embraces L’Arche traditions in day to day life.
4) Ensures that individual and community celebrations (i.e. birthdays, community nights, anniversaries, etc.) are incorporated into daily life.
5) Supports community and spiritual life through attendance at community prayer, celebrations and meetings.
6) Fosters good stewardship in regards to the maintenance and cleanliness of the home, its yard, and the automobile(s).
7) Represents L’Arche at outside community events, presentations, and marketing and development activities.
8) Maintains links to the wider L’Arche Family and is open to accepting the responsibilities at the Region, Zone, or International Level.
1) Exercises authority as a member of the Leadership Team and comprehends their role in community decision making.
2) Knows and assures that all government regulations and L’Arche policies and procedures are followed.
3) Participates in all regulatory inspections and evaluations and coordinates follow-up.
4) Participates in the development of Individual Service Plan (ISP) and Behavioral Programs and assures that associated documentation is complete.
5) Ensures that household and core member finances are managed appropriately in accordance with L’Arche policies.
6) Ensures that core members’ files and house records are current.
7) Involved in the application and intake process for screening and evaluating potential new core members. Together with the Program Specialist/Community Life Leader, ensures new core member admissions are appropriately evaluated and initial ISPs are completed and in compliance with regulations.
8) Supports the Office Manager to ensure trainings and paperwork needed for the assistants’ files are completed.
9) Together with the Program Specialist/Community Life Leader assures that the home meets all regulatory safety and OSHA requirements.
10) Participates in the recruitment process and interviews and hires assistants for their homes.
11) Ensures that assistants are following through on their designated tasks.
12) Ensures that probationary and annual evaluations of assistants are completed.
13) Fully participates in required meetings and is a member of the Operations Committee
1) Minimal education requirement is a High School Diploma or GED.
2) Bachelor’s degree or comparable experience preferred.
3) Has knowledge of and is committed to the mission and philosophy of L’Arche.
4) Prior L’Arche experience with a demonstrated maturity in community living is a plus.
5) Committed to own personal and spiritual growth.
6) Has experience working with individuals with developmental disabilities.
7) Must be able to communicate well in diverse situations and willing to manage conflict in a healthy manner.
8) Must be able to work independently and lead a team.
9) Must hold a valid Ohio Driver’s License and must maintain a good driving record that conforms to standards of L’Arche automobile insurance.
Please contact Heather Homer at 216-721-2614 or at firstname.lastname@example.org to apply!Share Job Post